Thursday 15 January 2009

Putting my money where my mouth is.

I'm very much anti the proposed third new runway at Heathrow. Not only for environmental reasons, though they do come into it, but social too.

A whole village, several schools and a cemetery are to be obliterated to make way for the runway and the associated infrastructure it will need. All this for the benefit of whom?

Apparently, there is a business case for it. I'm sure BAA have a business case - if they didn't they wouldn't want a third runway. As I read yesterday, business travellers want good links to China, India and USA. They don't need 20 flights per day to Paris!

The economy needs it. Well, I may be naive, but surely improving public transport throughout the UK would bring a greater benefit. People could use the improved public transport to get to better jobs and training opportunities. That, in turn, would boast the economy and, more importantly, the lives and prospects of some of the most disadvantaged in the UK. Just a thought.

Anyway, in order to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak) on this matter, I've signed up to be one of the benefited parties of the piece of land Greenpeace has bought right in the middle of the proposed development. The scheme's called airplot and more information can be found be clicking here.

It might not stop the development or hold it up, as Greenpeace hopes. But if enough people sign up to the airplot scheme, it will send a clear signal to the government and BAA that the general public sees through their reasons and does not want this expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!