Friday 23 January 2009

Hospital Chaplain

Yesterday I spend the day shadowing my local hospital chaplain. He showed me around the various departments of the hospital and introduced me some staff and patients.

Although there isn't much more in terms of what I did all day to report, I still found the day insightful. A hospital chaplain's job is very different from a parish minister. A chaplain may meet several people who wish to speak to them while out and about, while a minister walking their parish may not meet anyone who wishes to speak to them. Also, they will not be able to build as long term a relationship as a parish minister may. That said, I see it is a very important part of ministry.

One main thing I came away with yesterday, The NHS and Scottish government very much give importance to looking after patients' spiritual welfare as well as their bodily needs. Basically, a holistic approach. I know when I'm happy I don't get unwell as often and find I can fight infection better, so their policy makes sence. I found that encouraging and sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!