Wednesday 13 July 2011

Waiting

It's not often I'll quote from the King James version, but it's translation of Isaiah 40:31 are most appropriate:

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

 In the 3 years since I finally, for want of a better phrase, said yes to God.

I had to wait from June to September to begin my first placement.

I had to wait to recover from the crash.

I had to wait to begin the extension to my co-ordinated field assessment.

I had to wait 5 months between local assessment and national assessment.

I had to wait over a year to begin university, as I hadn't applied when 121 had advised me.

Now, I'm waiting to find out if my results from Aberdeen university are sufficient for Edinburgh to confirm my place. (If they aren't I think I'll scream, and scream, and scream until I'm sick!!!)

It's all worked out really well though.


I've had two placements at two very different churches, where the ministers had very different styles. So, that's opened my eyes to how that affects how the church is perceived locally.

I've proven to myself I'm not thick. 10 years in my last place of work can do that to a person. Also, I wasn't that studious first time round. I know my results have definitely given me a confidence boast for going back full-time to uni.

I've (so far) had 4 months of chilling/doing my own thing/resting time. It's allowed me partly to concentrate on my studies (while I was undertaking them) and try/do things that I wanted done/to try. It's not often in life opportunities like this come along and once in ministry, it's going to be a long, long time before I can have 6 months off!!!

I've looked back at my placements and associated reports and seen how I've changed. Especially since last year. It's hard to articulate, but I can feel it's happened. I feel I am growing into my own skin and becoming comfortable with who I really am. After all, that's who God called because have a specific range of experiences and skills. Skills and experiences which God needs to undertake his mission for wherever I go. (A bit daunting that one, but with God with me, who can be against me?!).

Without all this waiting, I wouldn't be where I am now, psychologically as well as temporally (it's a bit Doctor Who'ish if I think about it too hard...). Since I had to begin my "main" waiting, through deferring beginning studies until this year, I have been convinced it's all happened as God has a specific place he needs me to go once I'm finished which will not become available at the right time, unless I'd waited. Quite what and where that is, God only knows. The adventure following his path to find it has been interesting, exciting and revelational (if daunting at times too), so far. It's only going to get better and better as I continue on this path. I'm sure the view's going to be amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps we need to have classes on "waiting" at school? It would be a nice balance to the constant drive for "achieving". :-)
    Oh, "hi", by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!