Monday 18 July 2011

Something old, something new

Again, I was leading worship at my "other" home church yesterday. It's such a privilege to be asked back again. I do like leading worship there. It's not a bit congregation, but this isn't a numbers game. They are warm and friendly, with deep faith.

During the first talk (sort of children's address), I could feel my voice get all wobbly. I know it's because the words, although my own, had really struck home to me. And it wasn't helped with seeing my Mum (as I scanned the congregation) welling up. I don't know if it was pride or not, but a drink of water was needed so I could compose myself. Oh, the pressures. It's not helped with some thinking I am a "strong person" who doesn't let their emotions get the better of me, though no one commented on it, so maybe it was just obvious to me.

I also tried something new today, based on the thanksgiving and intersession prayer in the starters for Sunday for this week. Before I began, I explained I was giving something new a try and how the prayer would work. Well, it got a very favourable response. The feedback was it really allowed the congregation to focus on the various groups in the prayer. They really felt they were praying with me, rather than me leading them. Great to know and part of the reason I was confident to try something new, as I knew the congregation would give me constructive feedback, even if it hadn't gone well.

I don't think I'd lead a prayer like this all the time. But it's definitely a style to keep in mind and try once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!