Sunday 17 July 2011

Long black boxes

I like to know how things work. I suppose it's the scientist in me though I've always been like this, since I can remember. I also like to look at the, for me, more interesting parts - the engine, the waterwheel, the grind stones - whatever powers the mechanism and makes the machine work.

So, here I was in St Giles cathedral, killing some time while waiting to meet a friend for lunch. It's a beautiful building, with so much which can bring you closer to God. It also has toilets.

And an amazing organ. Unfortunately, it wasn't being played. Definitely worth a visit when that's letting rip. I do like organ music, so I do.

As it wasn't being played, I went round the back for wee look. The second best thing about organ music is the pipes, aka long wooden boxes. I didn't expect the view behind the organ to be quite so lovely, though...

Stained glass reflecting on St Giles Organ
The light transformed long black boxes into something wonderful. Just as God's love reflected in us can turn all of us into something wonderful too. We just need to look behind the mask and into the dark places to really appreciate it, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!