Friday 1 July 2011

Presbytery obersvations

Yesterday, I was invited to Presbytery. It's the first time I've been since last year. There were two things which especially struck me. Firstly, I was the youngest there by 8 years. I know this probably the next youngest were my ministers and I know they are 8 years older than me. Looking at the average age, though, I felt really young and out of place.

Okay, so presbytery is a court of the church. I would have thought that should be represent the whole church. If the age (average around 70) was anything to go by, I find that really disturbing.

Another thing which struck me was the slight absurdity of the process. Such as the moderator bowing to the presbytery. What's that all about? Oh, tradition no doubt. Just look plain daft to me, especially when presbytery bowed back.Then, it was brought up that a church has had an offer for a piece of land it owns. The General Trustees are happy with the offer, as is that church's Kirk Session. Presbytery still had to okay it. Now, that fair enough, but if that had missed this months meeting (and it was a very close thing by all accounts), that agreement could not have been made until September and the sale may have fallen through.

Oh, I know any organisation needs its processes and procedures in place, especially when it is a charity. I know I will, once in ministry, have to attend. I also know I'm not a fan of silly bureaucracy (says a former civil servant) or meetings. And I will have a lot to deal with. I just pray I can stay focused when in those meetings on God's call and not allow the admin to get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!