Friday 15 July 2011

Journaling

When I began this blog, it was as part of my reflective journal I was required to keep during my co-ordinated field assessment.It's a bit narcissistic, but knowing others might read it has helped me. I doubt I would have used it as often if I was just talking to myself.

I must admit to not really liking the idea of journaling when I began this process. I mean, who keeps a diary these days? I also didn't think it would be that constructive. How wrong could I be?

Looking back, I can see the growth as I accept who I am and struggle through all that this has thrown at me. Also, there are regular commentators who have really supported me, both through sharing of their experiences, offering advice and praying for me. To them, a sincere and heartfelt thank you.

The enquiry process, in particular, can be very isolating. It's not public knowledge who else is going through the process, so there is not really the network of support through shared experiences. I obtained that support through this blog. I know without that I may have given up during my first placement and not even taken the process to the local review stage. Then I wouldn't be here, about to embark on the training which will allow me to really follow God and become who I am.

There have been new guidelines published for journaling during the enquiry process here. So, they've got their heads around blogs, but they should be private. I know this isn't, but there are things I don't post for many reasons. Again, a private blog would not have served the same function, for me, as this has.

I am impressed with the advice for journaling, towards the end of the guidelines:


Begin with a time of silence or music or even physical exercise such as walking. Then simply put your pen in your hand and begin writing. It doesn’t have to make sense, and you don’t have to write in sentences or even sensibly. You can make lists or complain about journaling, but you must keep writing for 10 minutes without stopping, even if it means repeating the same word over and over. If you feel stuck try writing with your non-dominant hand and see what happens. Or begin with the words “I remember” and write for five minutes. Then turn to a new page and begin with the words “I don’t remember”, again write for five minutes. Here are the rules: keep your hand moving, and don’t cross out mistakes or worry about punctuation or grammar. Lose control and don’t think or be logical. If something comes out that seems scary of exposed, dive right in because it probably has a lot of energy.
Always put a date at the top of each journal entry. This may seem unnecessary at first, but it will prove important if you want to go back and remember not only the entry itself but its surrounding events. The intention of a journal is to record and save the moment. It also offers the possibility of returning and reconnecting at a future time.

When we journal, we find that there is something about putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and simply writing that seems to clear away the debris so that we can more clearly discern our lives and the world around us. But journaling as a spiritual practice means that we begin with the longing to come closer to God through our journaling.

Really? Well, whatever floats your boat, but that's a little weird, if you ask me!

Oh, if you were wondering, I've no intensions of stopping blogging. It fills my need to write and lets me think through things in a way I may not, if I was just holding things in my head or writing them for my own private viewing. How much and what I write depends on what's going on in my life, the world and my training and, of course, what's appropriate.

It's helped me and maybe helped others. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!