Monday 25 July 2011

Brings back memories

Last night, there I was flipping through radio stations to find some decent tunes (No MP3s for me even though I could listen via my phone. Just can't be bothered. So, it's still t'wireless, but DAB, naturally). I got to a 90s station and on was Jump around by House of Pain. Oh, that brought back memories. It instantly took me back to mid-90s, out clubbing in The Garage with my mates. Happy days. (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a fan of this song, but it was a laugh jumping around to it at the time...).

It just shows how evocative music is. I wonder how many people hear a bit of music or a song and it transports them to a time and place, as this did for me last night? I also wonder how important music might be for those in comas? I have heard hearing is suppose to be the last thing to go, but Classic FM or similar is the background music of choice on many an occasion.

Perhaps, in pastoral situations where music may be a way of "breaking the silence", finding out the person's tastes (where it can be done) rather than just using Classic FM would be better. I know a few people who'd probably wake up from their coma if you played that (as much as I like classic music, if that's all I got, I think I would too and be thinking how the devil does have the base tunes...).

Can I have anything but dance, please? I hate dance. What about Johnny Cash? Now you're talking. That brings back memories of growing up in a house where country, Elvis, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel and the Wurzels were all played. Very eclectic, but all real music. But please, please, dance music. No. Did I mention I hate it?

1 comment:

  1. If the last thing I hear before I join the (ex) parrot is David Mellor introducing pleasing sounds then I'll wake from my drug induced haze, suffocate someone with a pillow and leave some poor nurse with two bodies, a smashed radio and a shedload of paperwork.

    Turn it up to 11 and give me "Highway to Hell!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!