Monday 30 July 2012

Death in the parish

There's a business in a parish where a member of staff has suddenly died.The workplace is a close knit band of colleagues and deceased was well respected and loved by their colleagues and the customers of the business. Though many of the staff may not actually live in the parish, the majority of their week is spent in the parish at work.

So, what do you do as a minister of that parish? Do you regard them as part of the parish, as they spend most of their waking week there or not? Do you visit the business to offer pastoral support (or get the pastoral care team to do so, where one exists)? Or do you just not bother unless you are asked to do the funeral?

I know what I'd like to do. I would see those people as much part of the parish as those who live in it. I would offer my services. They wouldn't have to take it and I would respect that, but I think it is important the church goes where it is needed and, in circumstances such as this. For isn't that what the church is called to do?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think the death would be the time to start new pastoral contacts though - much better to already have a pastoral contact and strategy for the schools, shops an workplaces in the parish long before. It's the same as laying the groundwork for the emergency pastoral stuff by preparing your people for the tough times when times aren't tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true, Gary, very true indeed.

      Delete
  2. Think just being there showing genuine care at such a time even as a fellow human being showing compassion can do nothing but good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!