Sunday 1 July 2012

Carberry Conference

Last week I was at a candidates' conference. It was a pain to have to split my placement to go and, as I didn't really enjoy my first one, I was quite apprehensive about it. I very much saw it as a chore and something to be endured this time last week. And I couldn't help but think the time table looked quite boring!

Well, maybe I'm more relaxed about who I am (this is true); maybe there was a different dynamic with the change in location and attendees; maybe now knowing some of my peers through ministries training network, uni and other conferences has made me more comfortable in and with the group. Whatever it was, I came away having generally enjoyed it (except for the food - but that's a minor detail and possibly what brought the group as a whole together!). I got to see those of my peers I hadn't since August, share time, fellowship, stories, fun and laughter with them. And most of the sessions were good too (though not all...the team building sessions were, well, not really that helpful).

I'm now looking forward to the August conference. Meeting up with those I know again and getting to know the new candidates, whatever ministry they are training for. It's a shame we all can't keep in touch more (okay, so that's more me keeping in touch with them as most are on Facebook) and share time with each other more frequently. I realised that though I publish some of my thoughts here, I prefer catching up with people face-to-face. Wonder how that could be done easier to benefit all the candidates - a massive Skype conversation perhaps!

I do know the relationships I build up in these conferences will help sustain me in ministry and I need to work at them. I must admit it is something I'm bad at. Maybe I could join twitter and use that to keep in touch with my peers...but then I suspect I may (yet again) be in the minority on that call.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just happen to still be up at a strange time tonight. Sounds like a good conference, even when it is just about relationship building.

    Time and time again throughout the strange process that is training people will tell you that the relationships that you form at this time will be the ones that sustain you. It sounds like mince and yet the people I remain closest to today are two people I met on my first day at university - one of whom's induction service I preached at last week while the other I journeyed south of the border to be at an introduction ceremony for last month. The other two I met at university and our friendships grew there and at conferences. We were all the "young ones" during training, and nearly 20 years on are surprised to find that all of us are still only just over the bracket for young. Our lives have intertwined as we've seen each other through the joys and celebrations of changing family lives, and the break ups that fall in between.

    I much prefer face to face contact, and each of these people I see at not too distant intervals. However Facebook - for all its annoying features - allows me to relate the way we did at Uni. We know the ins and outs of each others lives, even when we know that we are not going to be available at the same time to communicate. I find Twitter hard as there is not enough detail. (as you see I like to ramble).

    However enjoy the relationships you make in this time. They are the people who will write your sermon with you an Friday and Saturday - trust me at times we've had a circular communication of thoughts that have formed four different sermons, but we needed each other to get there. When it comes to listening for your "call", they are the ones saying look at this or I can see you here.

    I think all the variety of modern ways of communication has made it all the more difficult to find ways to simply communicate. (That makes me sound so old..)However I hope you find one that suits you, and allows you to thrive with those who echo your desire to communicate with God's Spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!