Friday 20 July 2012

Not my ball

Over the summer I've been tasked with co-ordinating the program for children (and their parents, if they wish). I've enjoyed being 'lt loose' to manage, arrange and organise the whole thing. It's great to be trusted to get on with it and, because of this I'm wanting it to go well (or in maybe that's not the right phrase - I would do so anyway).

Though I'm co-ordinating the program, I am liaising with members of Highland Cathedral to get volunteers, share ideas, obtain information on type, ages and numbers of children etc, etc. Also, as I'm only here for 10 weeks and need to gain experience of leading 'normal' Sunday worship (whatever that is) I cannot lead the program for the 6 Sundays it's running (though I was involved at the first one).

Initially we were in one building and it did go well, but for a variety of reasons (which I thought, but the other leaders and some parents also mentioned) it wasn't idea, so it was moved to a better location following discussion with my supervisor. But I forgot to tell the person who does the order of service (oops). I did apologise and have now got it sorted. Though it didn't have to be who passed that on, as the person responsible for co-ordination I should have made sure it was done by someone. Oh well, that's a thing to take note for future. At least I had the decency to admit I was wrong and hold my hands up to it.

From this project I have confirmed my leadership style seems to be collaborative. Especially in this situation it makes sense. If it's a success it may be run during future school holidays, but I won't be around. If I'd done it all myself no-one would have been involved in it nor know how it was put together and Highland Cathedral would be back to square one. Also, it means there seems to be a real sense of ownership of the project by the leaders and those I have asked for help and guidance from. Though I'm co-ordinating it, it's definitely not my ball. I hope this is something I can take with me in full-time ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!