Monday 23 July 2012

The right style for the people

I was preaching for the second time this placement on Sunday. I'm all too aware I need to preach what I feel God needs me to say to a congregation, not what I want to say. Also, I wanted to try a different style of sermon yesterday. I've not really developed a 'pattern' in my style and I'd (to a certain extent) like to keep it that way. It could get repetitive for the congregation and different styles will work for different people.

Thing is, yesterday I preached in a style that I don't actually like too much.  I retold the story of Joseph being sold to slavery, from his prospective in the well into which his brothers had thrown him. Generally, I feel that's making stuff up. There's plenty good stories in the bible and the actual reading is one of them. But I felt called to preach that way for that congregation at this time. At another time or in another place that wouldn't have worked.

I know I used my notes a bit more than I usually do, because it was a style different from that I have done before, though no one really picked up on that. I did 'wake' a few members of the congregation up when I shouted (it was in context - I was talking about Joseph wanting to shout). Not that they were really sleeping, but it definitely got their attention.

Feedback was limited, though positive. I know it wasn't as good as last time at Highland Cathedral and it is the Scottish mentality to not praise people too much (fine by me, it makes me squirm).

Over tea after the service I sat at a table with some of the members. I didn't sit with them to be complemented, but they did. One lady waxed lyrical about me being very spiritual and there was obviously a power greater than me speaking through me as I preached. I know I couldn't do what I do without God at my back and following where he leads me through the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!