Sunday 24 June 2012

Preaching today

I preached for the first time today at Highland Cathedral. Before the service began and while I gathered my thoughts I was nervous, but tried to use that to my advantage.

I did use the personal anecdote I was swithering about using earlier in the week. I wasn't sure if it would be the right thing to do nor if I would manage to say what was needed to be said without coming across as either too emotional or inappropriate. In the end, I feel I found the right balance and I made the correct choice, though wouldn't do it every week.

To begin with I was a wee bit fast. I realised this and changed pace when I moved to from introductions to biblical reflection. I know this was because I was nervous, though feedback indicates most people did not pick up on this and my diction was very clear all the way through.

After the service I received almost universally good feedback. Constructive feedback told me I was clear in terms of content and diction. I was also told by a few people that they found it very thought provoking, sincere and reassuring. One person did say it was alright and would tell my why it was just alright later, though even my supervisor who heard the comment was confused by that and, pretty much, told me to disregard it, given the other feedback he'd heard.

So, I need to be aware  that I don't get off to too much of a rattling start, but that didn't impede even those with hearing difficulties. Over all, I feel this was a good, well presented sermon, which spoke to the congregation gathered today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!