Sunday 1 April 2012

Our Father

Over the last few weeks, I've been in situations where the concept of God as father has been discussed. Basically, the speaker has talked about how people with absent or abusive father must feel about God being described in such a way. In each case, the speaker has also mentioned their own very good relationship with their earthly father.

I wonder if they, and everyone who talks around this subject who themselves have a good paternal relationship, ever think to ask us. Really, go on, ask those of us in one of these situations what we think, not what you think we should think. I don't know, I feel it's a bit like some groups saying "you can't do that as it might insult this religious group" and the religious group sort of thinks "and your point is, caller?".

Okay, so I can only speak for myself, but it's never been a problem for me. If anything, I'd like to turn the question on its head and ask how, even with the best Dad in the world, he could ever be compared with God. No human (except Jesus, of course) has ever been perfect, so how is it possible to compare God with an imperfect human?

We need to find ways of describing the indescribable and referring to God as father is one. So is mother. But that's a cultural thing not really using that to describe God. Personally I go with the flow. If female attributes are used, I do wonder if the person talking about God has a problem and they are overcompensating. Going totally down the purely feminine line, I would argue, could be as bad as just masculine descriptions, so why not the occasional mix?

I wonder what would happen if I began the Lord's prayer next time with "Our Father and Mother" what would happen? Would anyone notice or would there be a riot? I think there may be more puzzlement than anything else. And, it's definitely not scriptural (though I don't see that as a complete barrier).

So, if I don't have a problem with God being described as Father, given my background, I wonder how many other people with absent or abusive fathers feel the same? Go and ask us, you might just be surprised at our reaction, though I only speak for myself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!