Sunday 15 April 2012

One Question

It's an imaginary scenario. You have invited 4 people (from history, your past, even fiction) to dinner. Also Jesus will be there (yes, I know he's always there, but I mean literally there, bodily there, like he was at the table with so many people in the bible). The group of people may not have met each other before and know nothing of one another. The members of the group may not even be Christians. So, what's the one question you'd ask Jesus in that situation? If you could ask him anything, what would it be?

Me? Well, I'd ask if he'd ever played conkers. Yes, you did read that right. And let me tell you why. At the table would be Spot (well, why would I invite people to dinner and not feed him too?), Hugh Miller, my Gran and a lady from my home church. Although I don't know if Hugh Miller did play conkers, I know the other members of the group either did or would have memories of it being played. The lady from my home church is a retired school teacher who, at conker season, would take he class walking to collect conkers and have a game the following day. So, it's an inclusive question, an icebreaker, a way of getting the whole group to talk to one another.

I think that's what Jesus would prefer. Just to be part of people's lives - either ordinary lives. To get to know the fun and laughter, as well as the deep stuff. After all, if you were inviting a group of friends to dinner for whom you were the common link, you would try to begin conversations which all in the group could participate in, not just you and one other person - or would you? I have to ask, though, if you did talk to one person about things only they and you would know, what was the point of inviting the others to dinner?

When I have told others the question I would use, the reaction is usually one of horror at being so immature or a look that seems to say 'Mrs G, what really is your burning question, that can't be it'. But, when I explain the rational behind the question, it is seen as very clever. So, next time I seem to comer across a bit immature is silly, there's usually method in my madness. I like to include everyone if I can and if that involves me looking a bit of a fool, so be it. It might just help those who may never speak about God, faith or Jesus see him in a different way and see being his follower as being liberating, rather than restrictive. So, I'm maybe not as daft as I seem...but only sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!