Tuesday 10 April 2012

Wearing Crosses

It has been widely reported that Cardinal Keith O'Brien called for all Christians to proudly wear a cross every day of their lives. I think this is wrong and here's why.

Wearing a cross is a deeply personal  thing. It's is not an obligation of faith that a Christian must wear one. I know many Christians who do. I also know of many, many more (myself included) who never do. It is following Christ and his teachings (like love your neighbour) which, I believe, marks Christians out. Not a piece of jewellery. A cross for a Christian is not like a Kirpan, which all Sikhs must wear. No, a cross was never and has never been an obligatory item all Christians must wear to show they are Christians. Therefore, as I said, it is jewellery.

Now, I know for the many Christians who do wear a cross it has deep and personal significance and I am in no way trying to say that is wrong. I wear my wedding and engagement rings almost every day of my life. They have deep and personal meaning for me, but they are just jewellery. They mean nothing if I wore them but people did not see the love I have for Spot in my actions and words. They are also meaningless to others, as they are just silver bands with little intrinsic value. Yet, they are among the most precious possessions I own. But, no one ever says a married person should wear a wedding ring to show they are married. Why? Because it is just a symbol and jewellery. It is how a person lives and expresses their love which matters.

So, I won't be wearing a cross any time soon. I'll stick to showing my faith in my actions; in my words; in the way I live my life.

1 comment:

  1. I feel I need to express that your comments left me feeling a little cross... ;p

    Anyway, given we are both currently at same place, where did you find time to write this!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!