Monday 9 April 2012

Leading Worship at Easter

Both on Good Friday and Easter Sunday I lead the majority of the service. And, in both cases I was wetting myself.

The Good Friday service was busy - it was a joint service with churches near Eagleside and had been advertised around most of the local churches. So there was a greater range of faces, with many people who'd wouldn't know who I was. They also wouldn't know I was near the beginning of my training and, unlike a Christmas watchnight service, the story would be really well know. Oh, and add to that at least 4 ministers in the congregation, so definitely added pressure for me.

I opened with the prayer I had written for the event. Although its based on repetition, I knew I could present it well. It's also long and I was ever watchful of the body language of the congregation - if I noticed a lot of 'ants in their pants' people, I have already decided to skip a couple of stanzas - I didn't notice any 'get on with it' body language, so I think it was a success.

During 4 of the 5 readings, there were sound effects. Not so loud they would drown out the readers, but I didn't really get the point of them (that wasn't my idea!). A couple of people I know who attended that service said they found they quite distracting, one of whom has hearing problems and they wondered what the point of them was.

Afterwards my supervisor commented the prayer was ambitious, but worked well. He noted the repetition written down could have looked just that, but with my style of reading it really worked and focused the mind. There was also a couple of people who commented on how much they appreciated it - they felt it made them really think on the events in a different way and found it very emotional. It's humbling to think something I wrote could have such an effect and I pray I can keep (and improve on) the high standard I seem to have set myself.

Easter Sunday wasn't quite as pressurised, as most of the congregation was familiar, but I was still nervous with being up front and starting of the service with readings. My supervisor advised me to make the stage my own and assured me I have the presence to do so. As I was reading the first passage there was a sound effect and I wonder how people with hearing problems would have dealt with that - again, it was not my decision. I feel my contribution went well, except for getting my tongue in a twist announcing the hymn "Now the green blade riseth". That just wasn't happening for me and I just hoped the congregation got the message. It's not like me and I know that wasn't nerves - I tried saying it in front of Spot and just  couldn't manage it. So, if I am announcing the hymns at an Easter service, that one may not be included!

Overall, I feel I lead two of the most important services in the Christian calendar well. I came across to the congregations as confident, clear, with a good presentation style. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I pray I can always live up to the standard I have set myself. It's so humbling to know I have these gifts and that others appreciate the way I lead worship. I also pray everyone sees all I am doing in worship is pointing to God and I am just as much there to worship God as they are.

1 comment:

  1. Sound effects, are OK at the right time.

    Jeering crowds over the reading of the quiet time in the garden? No. There was no reason for it to be there, and it was distracting. And it made it hard for the deaf pensioner next to me to hear the readings. I don't think the reader looked too happy either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!