Thursday 26 April 2012

On forgiveness

A couple of weeks ago, over on Danny's blog, she talked about forgiveness and wondered about our stories.

I've had a recent experience which showed putting the past behind me didn't mean I was ready for dealing with a person who hurt me, and my family, really badly when I was a child. It was a long time ago and I had grown older and wiser. In many ways, I am the person I am today because of this. Even bad experiences can have a long-term positive affect.

This person is a member of my placement church, though I didn't know that before I began. Had I know, would I have gone? Honestly, I don't know. So, it made leading any part of worship very different. God loves them as he loves me. They are there worshipping the same God I am. So I must, I have to forgive them, otherwise I am not forgiven myself and, as such, cannot truly worship God.

This was especially brought home to me one communion. I was sharing this with this person, as member of that congregation. We are both member of the body of Christ and God was (and is) in us in that sacrament. So, I ensured I shared the peace with them - and truly meant it when I shook hands with them.

I do agree with Danny, though. I can't forget the past. But I can move on from the position of feeling hurt and anger towards someone to showing grace and love towards a fellow Christian.

Few things have taught me more about grace - that I should have for others and God's all accompanying grace - than this has.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!