Monday 30 April 2012

What is pastoral care?

The title of this post may seem a bit strange, but it's something I've been wondering since filling in my self-appraisal form for this placement. In the section about pastoral care, I had little to write. My formal pastoral encounters had all been during my supervisor's vestry time and they had mainly (though not all) had been people wanted married or their children baptised, so nothing really difficult. Also, I was never allowed to go alone, resulting in me being an observer, rather than actually offering pastoral care.

On my form I wanted to put things about having coffee with members of the congregation after the service, and various other similar 'in passing' type encounters. This was 'negotiated' off my form, as my supervisor does not regard those as pastoral care.

So, where does a conversation about the weather which develops into a person divulging some very deep painful things, because they are talking to the 'minister' become pastoral. I know my thoughts on this and, from talking to others, it seems the 'in passing' can be the door to something deeper - for both sides.

I know there are some at Eagleside who have appreciated me taking time to listen and support them, and they have expressed this. So, have I sold myself sort in the form? Perhaps not. After all, my supervisor did not observe these conversations, merely was aware I stayed for tea after the service. I suppose it's a different approach to pastoral care I have and I now think the benefits of doing what I do naturally - drink tea and listen, with a side portion of knowing a lot of randomness, builds relationships, breaks down barriers and opens the pathway for me to walk with people in their journey through life, as a representative of Christ's church.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, you can't really offer pastoral" care" unless you have built up a bit of a relationship with people care would imply a level of intimacy rather than just a five minute visit. I've always found people more likely to open up and share " over a coffee" than in a contrived situation, so go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!