Tuesday 3 April 2012

Sharing Food

Eagleside had a Passover-style meal last night. It was an abridged version of a Jewish passover meal, with most of the ritual and symbolism they would include. The twist was the inclusion of references to the Last Supper, being the disciple's Passover meal on the night Jesus was arrested.

Generally, it was quite interesting and something I would consider trying in the future. One of the people there did ask if I now had my first Easter in my first charge sorted, but I said that might be too much for the first year and it would depend on having appropriate catering.

A couple of observations:
  1. Last night was the tables were set up in groups, rather than one big cluster of tables. Consequently, there were some who had their backs to the speaker (I was among them). Given the size of the group, I think it may have been possible to have everyone around one big table, but the group size was boarder-line for that.
  2. As I was driving, I did not have the wine available. Traditionally, wine is taken throughout the Passover meal and there were non-alcoholic alternatives available. When I refused the wine, someone mentioned it would only be a few sips I was having and I think they were quite taken aback when I mentioned I don't drink and drive at all and believe there is no safe limit. So now I think they see me as a bit of a prude. Well, I'd rather be one of them than have an accident. Even if I was under the limit, I would always wonder if alcohol played a part. That was one of the circumstances were, had I been the minister leading the meal, I would have either not driven or not drunk. I am all too aware ministers should try to do things which would not let others stumble (and I know no-one's perfect, least of all ministers and especially not me). But I do feel if people see you taking a particular course of action, even if it makes them feel uncomfortable, yet they see as perhaps the right thing to do they will respect and, hopefully, follow. Though I have to ensure they are following Jesus and not me.

At the end of the meal a couple of people were asking when I finish my placement. Officially it's Pentecost and I told them that, but also said I may leave a week or two before that so I have a break before my next placement. They all wanted to make sure they got to say goodbye and that it would be great if I could go back. I did let them know I wasn't in a position to have another placement there, though may visit.

One person told me there were people who didn't want me to leave and to stay to become their assistant minister. A great complement, though I wonder who 'we' are. Very humbling, though. But perhaps a congregation is more forgiving of a 'minister' if they know she is just there for a short period of time! Or perhaps I am being too hard on myself and accept people seem to have taken me to their hearts and the congregation appears proud to have been involved in my development and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!