Thursday 4 August 2011

Thinking where to go

Shortly, I'll be attending meetings to start the ball rolling in my training. As part of my training towards the ministry of word and sacrament, I will undertake four placements.
  • Two term-time placement from around the beginning October to end May. If I've got this right, they are a commitment of Sundays (so if the church does 2 service, I do two; if only 1, you get the picture) and two 3.5 hour sessions a week (why they can't say 7 hours is beyond me).
  • One full-time 10 week placement. This is usually in the summer between first and second year (for those doing a 3 year degree), but can be between second and third year.
  • Then, once study is finished with (is it ever?) there's a full-time 15 months probation period.
I do have a choice where I go for these placements, though there are practicalities over where they can be. Where I live, a term-time placement in the Glasgow area is not realistic. Or, a church I may have thought of may not be in a position to take trainees.


I know I  benefit from being gently stretched and taken out of my comfort zones. It helps me grow, stops me becoming stale and makes me think about things in a way I may not have. So, where to go?

For my first placement, I believe it's pretty much taken I do a "normal" parish placement (is there such a thing?). There's a church near where Spot will be doing his extended enquiry which takes trainees. From a practical point of view, this would be ideal, but is it a good choice for my learning? I don't know, as I don't really know the church anymore (I used to go to their youth club many, many moons ago).

As for summer placement. Well, if one person has mentioned going abroad to me, three or four have. Perhaps this is someone trying to say something. I must admit, to begin with wondering what all the fuss was about, but I'm coming round to the idea. The Church of Scotland outwith Scotland. That's an interesting conundrum.

As for language. Well, I know the Kirks in the presbytery of Europe conduct services in English. That's about all I have. I did French at school, but haven't used it for years. I have also studied Latin (which I have also forgotten) and New Testament Greek, but they aren't that helpful. There's also where to live and being away from Spot for 10 weeks.

I'm sure if these are experiences God wants me to have (and it's increasingly sounding like it) these things will all work out/be provided for. During my training I'm in the perfect situation to try things and go places I may never get to. How will that prepare me for ministry? I don't fully know, but I'm sure it'll all be useful.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    my advice would be to do as wide a variety of placements as possible. I did 'High' Kirk (as in high in liturgy), a UPA and wee country three way linkage fishing villages as my during study placements and then a team ministry in a large congregation for probation. All very worthwhile and all my supervisors played a large part in the minister I am now.

    Logistically I had to accept that living 50 miles from my place of study needed compromise and that involved doing a placement 50 miles from home too. But whilst hard going I only once missed a Sunday because of the weather and the personal gain was great.

    I wasnt given any real choice in any of my placements appart from the wee fishing villages one - which I suggested and the minister kindly agreed to take me and do a rapid traing in supervising. Again lack of choice was a logistical problem.

    The opportunity to do a placement overseas is great but consider what you might gain from this and whether another placement might offer a better insight into ministry in a 'real' scottish parish sense. UNless of course you see yourself as an overseas minister - one of my best friends is and my probationary supervisor recently went to Paris - but they are both in their latter years of ministry i.e. these are their pre-retirement ministries.

    But if you have clear ideas about where you would like to go - do not be afraid to ask. It is very much dont ask, dont get.

    You must be getting quite excited about it all now and it wont be long til your 1st Confernce. Enjoy every minute of it - it is a truly special time.
    Blessings to you and Spot
    Shuna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shuna
    Thanks for the advice. With a people saying how wonderful overseas placements are (one even thinking all ministers should do an overseas as part of their training), I was starting to think there was something wrong with me for wondering exactly how they would help me in my ministry.

    I know, due to logistics and who's trained/willing to take a trainee, that limits where I go. I also know no matter where I go, I will learn and grow. I know how much I learnt from my 2 co-ordinated field assessments and they don't even form part of the training.

    Yes, I am starting to look forward to starting. In 3 weeks I'll be in St Andrews at my first conference. It'll be great to start and meet the other candidates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be so quick to dismiss an overseas placement as being unable to help you in a 'real' parish ministry. I don't know of anyone who has done an overseas placement (myself included) who hasn't benefited from it. Yes, it's very different to a parish placement here, but that doesn't mean it has nothing to offer. I would also challenge the perception that they are 'pre-retirement' charges. That may have been so in the past, but is definitely not true now. Rotterdam, for instance, could not be done by someone cruising to retirement.
    And you're not limited to Europe. Candidates have been to Malawi and Zambia, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John
    Don't get me wring, I'm sure any placement will be beneficial. I also know of minister who have done placements overseas and they appreciate how much it has helped to form them into the ministers they are. I'm just not sure it's for me, but God may have other ideas!
    I suppose I'm just thinking through the possibilities and logistics. There's no getting away from the language barrier for most of the Europe placements.
    I wouldn't think of Europe as pre-retirement, though know it does happen. The minister at Amsterdam was very near the start of his ministry when he moved there, for 5 years, 20+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There isn't a huge language barrier - at least no more so than there is as a tourist. The congregations are English-speaking and all worship and business is conducted in English. Even visiting is all in English. If it's a factor, then Brussels is perhaps the most cosmopolitan in that regard, especially having the EU parliament, NATO, etc in town.
    Downside of them is that it can be expensive and you may well end up out of pocket to a degree. We factored in what we would have spent on a family holiday and made use of that as a budget. It meant that I was there for 12 weeks, including 2 weeks holiday, and the family were all out for 6 weeks (overlapping with my 2 week holiday).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!