Monday 22 August 2011

Saying goodbye

Potentially, yesterday was the last Sunday in my home church for a long time. Next week I am off to my first candidates' conference and, who knows.

I didn't want a fuss, but just knew they wouldn't just let Spot and I waltz off into the sunset without something. All through the service, I had this feeling parts were aimed at me, though that could have been coincidence.

It was Spot's last week on the projector. He had said last year he'd give up, so he could follow me. I don't think he really thought that would involve more than supporting me by attending the occasional service or fellowship event with me! So, when the minster started mentioning it, I thought I may have got away with just remaining sitting at the back. How wrong was I!


We were both invited forward and the minster said nice things about us (and here was I thinking they knew us better!). Funny, I can't really recall what they said. All I was thinking was I don't want to be the centre of attention and don't turn on the waterworks! I nearly lost it when the congregation sang "The Lord bless you and keep you" to us. I was looking around the congregation, but desperately trying not to make eye contact, as I just knew half were in tears. The choir were behind us and they were all in bits. Some of them were even surprised by their own reactions, by all accounts.

It isn't easy leaving. I have been gradually attending my home church less and less, as I have been all too aware this day was coming. They are my family in Christ and I love them all dearly. The faith they shared with me formed mine and the rest, as they say, is history. They have always been a big part of my life and they will always be in my heart, as I know I am in theirs.

God lead me to ask Mum to take me to church. God has lead me through bad times and good. God has called me and I am following. None of that would have been possible without the love I have had from my home church. Saying goodbye was always going to be hard. We hurt because we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!