Saturday 20 August 2011

Blame the parents

Following on from the riots last week, some of the right wing press has turned on the parents. Particularly single parents. Looking at the articles, the writers don't substantiate their statements with facts and figures. Well, show us exactly how many of the rioters came from single parent homes, as a percentage of the number of convicted rioters.

It's very easy to blame the marginalised and overlooked. They do not have a voice. They aren't listened to, by some, because of their situation.

As a daughter of a single parent, this hurts me. This hurts my family. It's difficult for me to disassociate myself from my experienced of growing up with the judging my Mum and I had because of this.

She taught me right from wrong and gave me a very good moral head. She worked to provide for me and give me the best she could. Yet for the first years of my life there was always someone who'd not see the intelligent, funny, generous child I was, just I was illegitimate.

When I wanted to go to church, Mum took me. Being a single parent, along with her experiences of church growing up, she thought she would be judged. Luckily for both of us, she went to the best church she could have. As the minister wisely told Mum "We all make mistakes, it's how we deal with them which makes the difference".

Once, at communion, Mum went into the balcony as she didn't think she could take it. The session clerk went looking for her. She knew she was there as he'd heard my voice. He brought her into the body of the kirk and reassured her Christ died for her too.

At church I learnt I was loved for who I was. I am a child of God. I am created in his image (though, not perfect by any means!). Mum did too. There I was Mrs Gerbil (well, I suppose Miss Hamster). Mum was a member of the board and a guider.We were loved for who we were. They really did live out the "love the sinner, not the sin" churches talk of.

Single parents are not to blame for the riots. Bad parenting may be a factor, though I think even that is too simplistic. It's easy to blame single parents. They often do not have a voice. The church should give them one, as it should with all the marginalised in society. After all, that's the types of people Jesus sought out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!