Sunday 14 August 2011

Facebook free zone

I am not on Facebook. There are many reasons I am not, mainly I do not want to be found. It may sound, but I do not want to share every minute part of my life with everyone I knew from school circa 1990, thanks very much. If we were friends and drifted apart over time, there must have been a reason for it. I have moved on with my life, so why haven't you???!!!

Sometimes, I wonder if I should join. It might make keeping in touch with my friends easier. Then I read articles like this.

Then there are the stories of people being put out because someone ignored or turned down a friend's request. Are they really your friend or are you just getting your numbers up? Have you ever interacted with them, ever? Or are they on the friend's list of someone on your friends' list who you wouldn't know from Adam and you are only wanted to add to your friend's list to have more friends than anyone else? Really, get a life.

So, going off to uni, where everything seems to be relying on FB and you're seen as weird for not following the crowd, is going to be interesting without it. Am I going to join? No. I am very stubborn when I want to be. When FB gets something vaguely approaching ethics and I don't loose all rights to any data I would want to post there, I might change my mind.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on Google+ and see how that develops.

1 comment:

  1. Follow up, I joined Google+.

    Why? because Google already knows all about me through: gmail, Android, comments on blogspot, youtube and most importantly Search (results from my other sites).

    So I may at least get something back for this exposure.

    Also I like being friends with the people I work with and working on site means I want to keep in touch. Also all of my family beyond my Parents and Sister are at least a couple of hundred miles away.

    Why not Facebook, well I am already exposed on Google, so why double it with a FB account?

    Also Circles seems an excellent way to separate out acquaintances, friends, followees and family.

    You already know what my details are because I have an account to comment here and you have most of it already thanks to your Blogspot/Android account.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!