Thursday 11 August 2011

More thoughts on placements

I know I may not get a choice where I go for my first placement. It seems from speaking to members of my presbytery, most of the ministers who take candidates are full-booked.

One of the places which takes candidates I don't think I would go into with an open mind. I have been told candidates who have gone there learnt a lot. The trouble, and I know it is my problem, is lack of open-mindedness. A similar church I wasn't familiar with would be a great learning experience for me, but I would be going there with no pre-conceived ideas of what it would be like. Moreover, nor would some members of the congregation have them of me.

I have also been looking at churches outwith my presbytery. Not so much as knowing whether they take candidates, but more to get an idea for other types of church. Through looking at these, I think I have more of an idea what areas of parish ministry I'd like to experience and learn from. They almost certainly will be outwith my comfort zones. Great. That's where I need to go, so I can increase my "ministry fitness". Only by stretching myself will I really find out what type of minister I will be and will I learn who I truly am.

One thing I have been reflecting on recently was my first co-ordinated field assessment placement. Although there where issues there, I didn't start off with the right mind set. I initially went in with the attitude of having to endure the placement. That is until that attitude blew up in my face. Consequently, I had to undergo another period of co-ordinated field assessment.

So, why am I mentioning this now? Well, I realise two things from that experience:
  1. Placements aren't there to be endured. They are learning experiences. Whether good or bad experiences, there should be something to learn, even if it's knowing how not to do something.
  2. Where a call is truly from God, as much as I may have (initially) wanted to fail, he will not allow it.
So, as with this journey so far, God is guiding me. He is sending me where I need to go to grow into the type of minister he needs me to be. Now, that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!