Wednesday 17 August 2011

It all came together

Spot and I were visiting friends at the weekend. Not that noteworthy, I know, but we were very aware it was one of the last weekends we'll have free for a while. Not that we're bothered. It's an occupational hazard for me (and potentially Spot). Also, even before beginning the process which has got me to this point, weekends were often committed to church-related things.

A couple of weeks earlier, they had been visiting her parents and were in the congregation as I led worship. At the weekend they were commenting how the service "was just so you". They found it amusing I pointed out it would be surprising all these people following Jesus around the lake and not taking their pieces with them (for viewers outwith Scotland, that's sandwiches). They also loved how the whole service fitted so well together. Cool, that's what I'm trying for, though I don't always know if others get that.

It is a major bugbear of mine when that doesn't seem to happen. I know sometimes my services have had a tenuous link, but there's some sort of theme I try to carry through the whole service. What I hate is the readings not appearing to relate to the childrens' address and neither of them relate to the sermon. (Sigh, glad I got that off my chest).

The feedback I get from services always seems to be positive. I know this night sound a little odd, but a wee but of negative feedback could be good. I might get a big head and that would not be good, though with friends and family like mine, it's probably not going to happen! Also, I wonder if it's because I'm the trainee minister and they know I'm just learning. It's great to think that's the case, but I'll never learn if no one tells me what I've done wrong or could do better.

Hopefully, that will all change come placement. I know I will have to adapt my style if I get my first choice. That's good. Knowing how to lead worship in different contexts and with different types of people will benefit me long term. Doing placements at churches like those I know will not achieve that and will not give me the good grounding I'll need once I get released on my own! A wee while yet, but it'll be quick enough coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!