Sunday 11 September 2011

Worship music and singing

Another church, another Sunday. As I look towards beginning placements and uni, I have to admit I have been avoiding my home church. I'm aware I need to let go and move on, but in the knowledge there will always be welcome there and spotthegerbil and I are in their prayers.

So, the church I was visiting today had a praise band. Now, I'm sure they all are reasonable players of their respective instruments, IF I COULD HEAR THEM! Rather, they played, or should I say jammed to, a recording of a Christian singer's recording of the song. So not only could I not hear the band, I felt more as though I was listening to a gig or might as well had a CD (oh, how old-fashioned) on in the car. The way the praise music was used did not lend itself to leading worship and some of the words of the songs did not make sense, but as I can't remember the titles, I can't specifically comment!

But there was some hymns not "led" by the praise band and they worked better. I know I was the visitor, but I very much didn't feel the congregation were into the praise band-led music either.

Once again, I was complemented on my singing voice. This time is was "beautiful". Maybe I have improved over time as that's not the first (or second or third time) that's happened. Only seems to work when I am singing from the heart...

Which reminds me of a story I heard once. There was a monastery in France where the monks would praise God with their singing every morning, noon and night. They sang with all their hearts, but, boy, were they terrible. To say they could not hold a tune in a bucket was being kind.

One day, they heard of a travelling monk in their area, who was renowned for his singing voice. So they invited him to sing for them during their evening service. No one in the monastery had heard a voice so beautiful as that monk's voice. During that service, they thought they were giving God something truly wonderful to hear.

That night, an angel appeared to the Abbot in a dream. "Why were you not singing tonight?" the angel asked.
Terrified out of his wits, and somewhat confused, the Abbot told the angel about the traveling monk who had sung for them that night.
Confused the angel told the Abbot not a word had been heard in heaven "For you make the most wonderful music and all heaven listens".
The Abbot laughed and told the angel "But no one in this monastery can sing. We are all terrible singers".
"Ah" replied the angel, "but you sing with your hearts. That is why it is the most beautiful music in heaven".

Whether this is true or not, I do not know. But that is what I try to do. Otherwise, what else are we not giving over to God in worship? Of course, it depends on the song/hymn and many other factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!