Friday 16 September 2011

Walking



I was in Edinburgh early yesterday. spotthegerbil drops me off on the way to his work, the wee star! After visiting the library (and embarrassing myself by not being able to work out how to leave - spot the fresher!) I decided I wanted to walk the Edinburgh labyrinth. I don't know why I felt compelled to do so (I suppose God does!), especially as I've always thought "That isn't really for me".

As I started, I didn't know what to do. Yes, I know it's walking the path, but what to do while I walked. Talking to myself was out of the question. Not only would they be sending the men (why is it always men?) in a padded van and a straight jacket, but there was someone sitting on one of the benches chilling. (Must admit, that did make me a little self-conscious).

So, there I was, just walking at a gentle pace, listening to the birds. In itself, that was pretty meditative. Then I started saying (in my head, I hasten to add) Deuteronomy 31:6, my favourite bible verse. Over and over I said it. All the way to the centre of the labyrinth. All the time wondering exactly what I was up to. All the time wondering if there was any point to it.

Until I got to the centre. It was a great feeling. One of enormous calm and peace. Like the words were becoming reality for me. As though God was saying, yes, "I will not fail you. It's okay".

I continued saying the verse as I retraced my steps to leave the labyrinth. Now they had taken on a while new dimension. A brilliant and amazing thing that is so hard to put into words, but is real presence of God with me. I mean, just how cool is that? I love it.

Now I know what was compelling me to walk the labyrinth. I was guided by the holy spirit. Part of the God I follow, but the God who is preparing the way for me. Brill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!