Wednesday 14 September 2011

My first day at school

Officially a student again. Didn't really feel that old. Not really. Honestly!

The opening lecture was great, if I was 18 years old and really worried about job prospects. Then, naturally, I would be glad I was studying at one of the best universities in the world. As it is, I really don't care. It's convenient. Yes, I know I will receive good teaching and have access to brilliant resources. But then mature students aren't the bread and butter of the business which is university education.

But moving on. Poster sales, that brought back memories. As did walking through some of Edinburgh uni's buildings (other than New College). I did one year there, before deciding it wasn't for me, working for a year and heading to Glasgow. Funny, the group I was with weren't offered the multitude of leaflets the other student were. I can't possibly think why that would be the case ;-)

Although we might not get much of a chance to, a visit to the chaplaincy was interesting. Universities must be the only place where different denominations and faiths (and no faith, in terms of the humanists) can work together. Just shows, when people concentrate on what they have in common, rather than what divides, we can do amazingly great things. Pity it doesn't happen often. And I scored a free t-shirt, so that was a bonus.

Looking at the set-up at New College, it would be very easy to become "ivory-towered" as a student there. It has its own library, computer lab, refectory, support staff etc. Really, there's little or no need to go anywhere else. So I wonder how New College ensures the students there, especially the younger ones perhaps living away from home for the first time, feel part of the wider student community. It's easier as a live in student accommodation, but more and more students are staying at home and there are less opportunities for the student experience then. Even though I lived in Edinburgh first time round, I did feel, as a science student, a bit isolated down at King's buildings.

The muffins were good. And enormous! Now that is an aspect of New College I could get used to, though I suspect it will have been a one off for saying "Hello" to the freshers. Just as well, as as I would become the size of a house if they were there too often.

Now I'm waiting to see if the uni will accept the credits I gained from Aberdeen. Unfortunately, reports aren't favourable in that respect, though I don;t know the circumstances of those where this was not a possibility. Optimistically, I have asked and based my classes on this being possible. I hope I hear soon the outcome of this, as the longer it takes the further behind in classes I haven't yet registered for I will be. But, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Tomorrow I will be going on the New College tour (and hopefully I'll remember where to go afterwards) and the inaugural lecture for the start of the academic year. That sounds really interesting and it will  give me an opportunity to meet my fellow students and get to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!