Wednesday 7 September 2011

Out of the blue

Here I am, less than a week to start uni and not long before I begin my first placement. In many ways, I'm looking forward to getting started. In other ways I'm a bit overwhelmed and daunted by the whole thing. I've so much to learn and it really doesn't seem long enough a time to learn all I think I might need to.

So, I'm getting a wee bit ahead of myself thinking about my summer placement. The earliest is can be is next summer, but it can be as late as summer 2014, just before I get to probation. Many people have said to me "if you get the chance to go abroad for a placement, go" and I was starting to think that was God's message. Now, I'm not so sure.

Yesterday, from left of field, I realised I am terrified of how to deal with seriously ill and dying children. It's not I don't care, quiet the opposite. So much so I couldn't visit Robin House when I was invited before it opened as I knew it would upset me too much. This although I know it, and Rachel House are exceptionally positive places and are about life, not death.

Funny how this hit me. I was thinking of placements and logistics of placements abroad (yes, yet again, getting ahead of myself). Me thinks if this hits me when I am thinking of placements, maybe a hospital/hospice chaplaincy placement is where God wants me to go. Go where I am scared of. Because that's probably exactly where I need to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hospital or hospice chaplaincy placements are also enormously rewarding and not a little challenging. As always, the issue is finding a qualified supervisor.
    I did a stint in Edinburgh Royal as part of the Pastoral Care and Theology course. It became very clear to me that I was not called to hospital chaplaincy, but it has definitely made hospital visits to parishioners much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!