Wednesday 11 May 2011

What a difference a year makes...

As I head towards beginning training in September, I've been reflecting on what's been going on in the last year. It's just over a year since the Church of Scotland selected me as a candidate in training. I've had to defer for a year due to not having a university place. It's all worked out well, though.

Since then, I've studied New Testament Greek, Mark's gospel and Pastoral Care, through the centre for Christian Studies and Aberdeen University, done a little pulpit supply (mainly at my home churches) and taken redundancy. If I'd begun training last year, I would not have had the opportunity to do these things.

There's also the weather. This time last year, Spot and I had been away camping and the temperature was so cold, this happened:


Yes, snow in May. Not as impressive as the lump of ice from the water bottle:



And in politics, today is 1 year since the Conservative/Lib Dem coalition was formed. I think I gave the coalition 6 months, so it has lasted much longer than I expected. I do wonder, especially in light of last weeks election results, how the next year will pan out. I think it will be interesting to watch, just so long as the most vulnerable and overlooked in society get the help and support they need.

As for me, I'm glad I've had this year of waiting. Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. I have had to wait. I've enjoyed the things I have encountered due to having to wait. After all, it's 3 years since the National Gathering, which was the trigger for me following God's call. I know this waiting is God preparing me for the specific role he needs me to fulfil. I am convinced this waiting will allow me to go exactly where God needs me to be, once my training is complete, as the charge will only be available then. As I learn to trust God more and more, waiting is another opportunity to learn his will for me and follow his path.

I wonder what the next year will bring? Whatever it will be, I know it'll be an interesting journey and things will happen in ways none of us could have expected.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just want to say thankyou, I have been reading your blog on and off for a couple of years now, I found it just after the CoS selection committee turned me down and in a low pint in my life you lifted my spirits. I am now in the process of appling for readership training and starting a BA in teology in september. I have started my own blog (http://snotious.blogspot.com/) to try and hammer out my calling as you have, I just wanted to say thankyou for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Snotious
    Thank you. Every blessing with trying to figure out where God needs you to go. I know it's difficult and the path's uneven, but it's all meant.
    Mrs G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!