Tuesday 10 May 2011

Almost finished

 Last night I had my last New Testament Greek class. It's not totally over yet - I've still my exam to sit in a couple of weeks time.
I've also completed "An Introduction to Pastoral Care". The final class for that was last week and I've now had all the all the marked coursework for this back and I've done quite well by the looks of things. It's a continuous assessment course, so there's no exam for it.

I've enjoyed taking the courses. Both parts of NT Greek have been a slog, though. Just when I thought I'd got it, the goal posts were shifted! I suppose that's what it's like for any new language. Mark's gospel last term really gave me an insight into that gospel which I hadn't before. There's mush more to it than I'd appreciated, especially as it is the shortest and simplest of the gospels.

I must admit, when Edinburgh told me their requirements of 40 credits, I was a little surprised. I could see their logic though. They have to look fair and open in their selection criteria. These days, it doesn't look good to university funding bodies and OSCR if the rule book's bent. I know I haven't really used my degree for quite a while and the job I was doing did not require or use a university education. Like they say, use it or lose it.

When I discovered there are ministry candidates at Edinburgh who didn't have to meet their 40 credits criteria, I was a wee bit resentful. That just seemed really unfair and I have a very ingrained sense of fairness. I'm not a stomp and shout person. If the rules are fair and open, I'll generally play by them. So, I have.

I've got over the resentment, though. Doing these courses has given me a gentle re-introduction to university study. I had been away from it for 11 years and, as I wasn't that studious first time round, I suppose I was concerned whether I would be able to do uni all over again.

From my marks last semester, it seems I may be good at this uni stuff after all. Okay, so the courses are only first year university level and I am a graduate. So what? The subject is totally different from anything I had studied before (I'm a scientist, of sorts). At least I haven't totally crashed and burned. That would have been disastrous, Okay, so I didn't need the 40 credits to get any uni place, but it would have been a real dent to my confidence knowing I had a uni place, but struggling to actually do the level of coursework which would be required of me.

Looks like I'm going to Edinburgh. Obviously the results need to be issued and confirmed. I hope I do get a good mark in both Greek and Pastoral Care. Just one of those will ensure my place at Edinburgh, as each course is 15 credits, taking the total to 45. It would a a same not to have the full 60 credits, given the time and effort I have put into completing these course.

Another advantage with having completed these courses is, as they are first year university level, I should be able to transfer the credits to Edinburgh. This will take the pressure off me to begin with (she says, hopefully).

Overall, I'm glad I've done the courses. They have prepared me for starting uni full-time and shown me I'm more capable than I sometimes think I am. I just hope I can keep up with the high standards I have set myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!