Sunday 15 May 2011

Looking ahead

Today, I went a much more formal church than I am used to, but there wasn't anything I thought totally unexpected. The choir wear robes and lead the minister in at the start of the service. They also sing an introit (not that unusual, I know) and anthem mid-way through the service. They really can sing well and their voices did work well in the space and in context of the worship. Interestingly, the choir was a reasonable age range (from mid-twenties to 70ish, I'd say), both male and female. In many churches I've worked in or visited these few years the choir has been older and either all or mainly women. The mix I found rather refreshing.

I did enjoy the service, though didn't feel that welcomed. On the way in, neither Spot nor I received a "Hello" or "Good morning" from the people handing out hymn books. The minister, passing the pew we were sitting at before worship began, did say hello. It's not his job to do it all, though. After the service, a member of the congregation mentioned to us we could leave by the right hand door, as the queue was people wanting to speak to the minister. We got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that we shouldn't be troubling the minister. These things are the kind of things which could put off visitors returning.

Anyway, given the formality, the service was almost so far from my comfort zone it is in the next galaxy. This may be exactly where I could do a lot of learning and growing, so may be a perfect type of church situation for a placement. I will have many questions over why things are done in certain ways (even if it's tradition, it comes from somewhere) and will need to learn to respect them while ensuring they do not get in the way of leading people to a relationship with God. At the end of the day, that's the most important part of ministry.

Just need to see where God calls me to go, even for training, as that's the situations where I'll learn where I need to be and what God really needs of me.

1 comment:

  1. You in robes..........you never know, I think you would be able to carry that off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!