Tuesday 31 May 2011

Love your neighbour as yourself

One of the greatest blessings I have in my life is Spot. He is a true gift from God. Before I found him, I didn't understand people when they talked of their soul mates and other halves. Now I do.

Through Spot's love and support I have grow and finally learned to love myself. I accept who I am (flawed as that is) and love myself. Now I love myself, I can put Jesus' commandment to love my neighbour as myself into practice. How could I love them when I did not really love myself?

Having a life-partner has brought huge rewards to me. Love, companionship, a shared life together. We don't agree on everything, but we accept, respect and love each other even in the disagreements.

I know having Spot in my life has allowed me to finally follow God's call to ministry. Yes, I still wonder if God's got it wrong, but have the self-belief that if God wants me to minister to his people, who am I to not follow (does that make sense?). I doubt I would have ever stepped out in faith without Spot's love and support. I know there are some who would criticise me for that, but God doesn't seem to have, given how blessed we have been since I began to follow his call.

There have been times when I was undertaking the various parts of the selection process where I was struggling, both with my sense of call (why me?) and things which were going on in the placements. Knowing I had someone at home who I could talk with or just chill-out with was one of the things which kept me going.

I know, once I am a minister, I will need my support networks more than ever. Obviously, I look to God first in all things, but I also know he has given me Spot as part of his support for me.

Now, that is a great and precious gift God has given me. Companionship, love, trust, the list goes on. If I truly love my neighbour as myself, I feel I would be a hypocrite to say to another that they cannot, not ever, have this type of relationship.

If a person makes that decision of their own free-will, fair enough. I have much respect for those who follow a celibate life and seem to thrive on it. But, I could never tell someone they should be single when I am not and am better for being with my soul-mate. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so to speak.

3 comments:

  1. That makes me sound quite pleasant and totally ruins my rough image. To redress the balance, I must note that on weekends I perform unspeakable acts of cruelty to cute furry animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does rock... as do you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot - are you talking about putting the gerbils on a diet by taking all the sunflower seeds and peanuts from their food ;-)

    Nik - Gee, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!