Thursday 19 May 2011

The question of robes (again!)

I'm aware there in the placements I undertake, it may be appropriate for me to wear robes. I have posted about this before. I won't wear a cassock - it's just too much. Besides, I'd just feel like an extra from Harry Potter, though I do not have the stature to carry it off.

Talking of Harry Potter. The other day, while awaiting rescue from my bedroom, I had a clear out of my bedside cabinet. Among the items I came across was a photo taken of me at my graduation. It wasn't the professional one, but I think taken by my uncle. There I was doing an excellent impression of Harry Potter. All I needed was the scar on my forehead. The only reason my peers didn't make the connection was it was 1999 - Harry Potter hadn't gone viral, quite.

So, looks like a suit's the order of the day. Besides, if I wasn't already a graduate, technically I wouldn't be entitled to wear academic robes. Besides, if I were to wear them, my nearest and dearest (thanks Mum) would kill themselves laughing and wonder what was wrong with me!

5 comments:

  1. Some thoughts for you.
    The issue, I believe, and as you state, is 'appropriateness'. If you would look out of place not 'robed up', then it may be appropriate to wear them. They are not actually academic robes, so qualification is irrelevant (unless you plan on wearing an academic hood as well). The only 'bar' on clothing is preaching tabs and scarf. You are allowed to wear all the rest as you wish (or as appropriate). The advantage of a cassock is that you can wear what you like under it (the mind boggles! We did have a very bizarre conversation at one conference concerning a range of CofS lingerie, but it was decided that the CofS logo was entirely inappropriate - sorry if your coffee is now all over your monitor).
    One of my placements was very casual and I felt overdressed in a suit even. Again, appropriateness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understood there was a no dog collar rule before ordination or strong discouragement of wearing one. It will depend on your placements though. I just dressed smartly during placements and probation and was never criticised or put under pressure to robe up. Training placements are where you find what works for you ... or they should be... and that includes the 'costume' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JohnO - yes, I think I can hear a nail being hit on the head. It's all about appropriateness. And I'm never going to look at cassocks quite the same way again. Thankfully I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!

    Danny - that's what I hope will happen. I will be smart, but still be me. After all, it's me he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danny - dog collars are not encouraged by 121. However, there is no church law specifically prohibiting them as they are not an 'official uniform'. Some bishops encourage it as a means of becoming more identifiably 'a minister', and thereby beginning to come to terms with that very visible identity within a community. A sort of 'right of passage' approach. I think though that that comes from those who are less impressed with the move away from licencing to the current system (something I think may well come under review again for all sorts of other reasons).
    But dog collar or not (at the probation stage), wearing robes may still be part of the tradition and expectation of some placements, even the candidate ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At my first placement, it really wasn't that much of an option: it was a highly liturgical place and would have been utterly inappropriate not to have worn at least the minimum... which is why I do have a cassock, but *ahem* don't have the CofS burning bush lingerie!!!!!
    Ah, yes, the joys of conference conversations - that was a particularly memorable one!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!