Saturday 28 May 2011

The end of an era...

For me at least. Last night was my last youth club at my home church. It still runs until the end of June, but I can't make the rest for a variety of reasons.

It's a shame. I love the kids. I love the church providing this safe place for them to hang out with their friends on  Friday night. Before we set this up, there wasn't anything for their age group in the area. There was a slight problem with kids hanging around. They weren't doing harm, but some local residents didn't like it. I could rant, but I won't. Instead, my home church did something about it.

And it's been such a success. This year has been quiet, with an average of 28 children an evening (since setting up, there are other things they can do, but not that many). In past years we reguarly had 45-50 attending.

I have to leave as come September I will be beginning my training. Maybe my placements will have a youth club I'd want to get involved with or, perhaps, I'd appreciate my Friday nights for some R&R. I'll see how things work out.

It'll be odd not doing youth club. It is 8 years since it began and I've been there since the start. Yet, now is the time I must move on and follow the path God has for me.

I pray new leaders will be found. At the moment, after the summer, there won't be enough. If my home church was to give me a gift on my leaving to follow my call, the best one they could give me is the knowledge this outreach and service to the community continues.

And why do I love doing it? The children's trust and honesty. These are a couple of conversations I had yesterday which made me smile, laugh and wonder.

"Mrs Gerbil, you never shout at us. All the other leaders shout at us."
"I don't like shouting. Besides, when I ask you nicely to do something you do, don't you?"
"Yeah"

"Mrs Gerbil, you're like a pretty Susan Boyle. [Pause] Oh, but younger"
"I'm not sure how I should take that, but I'll take it as a compliment. Thank you".
"I did say pretty"

There are few times I have had such backhanded, yet genuinely heartfelt complements. There were other comments they made, to do with that debate. It was summed up like this:

"Is that not like racism?" Then they ran off to do something more interesting.

They children don't know it was my last night. Most of the leaders hadn't realised either. In some ways I feel a little guilty I didn't say bye to the children, but I would have got upset and I don't want to do that. I didn't want to upset the children either.

I pray that maybe, just maybe, some of the seeds I've sown over the years for God will begin to germinate and grow within the children I have encountered through the youth club. I may never know of how they will grow, but that isn't why I did it. I did it as that is part of my call and part of the reason I procrastinated over following my true call for so long.

So, I pray for the children, the leaders and the church and commit them to God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!