Wednesday 12 May 2010

The coldest May in 20 years?

Spot and I have been away for three nights. As we haven't really camped since before out crash, we headed to The Duke of Atholl's campsite in Blair Atholl. Just an hour from home and a great base for walking, bird watching and wildlife spotting.

The things we saw were great - 4 (yes, 4!) red squirrels, one of which we spotted just after I took this photo:



Some ducks with their ducklings:



The broken and fallen trees, pushed down by the weight of the snow earlier in the year:



The underside of railway bridges:



And even a golden eagle, though you will just have to take my word for it!

One thing we didn't expect to see was this:



Or this:



Or this lump of ice on top of the 15 litre water bottle! (NB The feet are size 7!):



I had been a little cold overnight, in my rated to -3 sleeping bag. Turns out last night was the coldest for 20 years, with temperatures in the Blair Atholl area reaching -6!

So, Spot and I decided stuff this for a game of soldiers and came home. We've still a week and a half of our holidays to fill, but I'm sure we'll manage. I like camping, but not below freezing.

I wonder if this is global warming? Britain, the only country which could get colder with global warming. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!