Wednesday 6 March 2013

Organised or last minute

Generally, I like to be fairly organised. Not in a OCD sort of way, but I don't like leaving things to the last minute. For me, it's a measure of managing my time well - things I can do timeously, I do. Might as well get them out of the way when I've time, rather than wait till I don't have enough time.

I can do things spur of the moment and step up to the plate to do stuff at very short notice if necessary. As someone who's training for ministry, not being able to do this would make some things a bit awkward. I have already experienced being asked to pray or offer a brief reflection in social situations (though, when I think about it, I suspected I might be asked to, so had mentally prepared myself).

So, because my default position is being a wee bit organised, I can struggle to work with those who are last minute. It's not the first time I have had to say 'no' to doing something as I really haven't been given sufficient time to properly prepare. For those who are last minute, I suspect this is hard for them to deal with, because they may see the timescale they give as more than sufficient. In some ways, it would be if I didn't have uni work to fit in too.

Now, this is all good experience for me. I have worked with people who can be last minute, but they acknowledged this and gave themselves 'false' targets, so others would have sufficient notice. It's a pity everyone didn't work like that, when others are involved. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid I'm one of those last minute people. I can't seem to focus until there is a looming deadline. I need the adrenaline buzz to get started, I think.
    But, of course, that's not fair on others, like yourself, who like to be prepared in good time. Setting artificial deadlines sort of works for me, but not convincingly - they're still not real enough, especially when other tasks hit the desk and diary.
    In ministry you'll be working with people at either end of the spectrum and everywhere in between, and it'll never perfect. I think you grow in trust of those those who are last-minute, but always deliver. You'll get to know the ones who need the deadline game played so you get what you need, when you need it.
    You'll also, I suspect, strike your own balance of preparedness and spontaneity. That, I think, just comes with experience and having a growing 'library' of resources lurking in the back of the mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!