Wednesday 27 February 2013

Salt of the world

I've been thinking about Jesus' saying his followers about them (and us) being "Salt of the world" (Matthew 5:13) and it's implications for the church and individual Christians in their interaction with the world. I know part of my reflecting on this is driven by my own theology, while being on placement with a very different one. In that tension, I suppose I am trying to justify why I believe in a God who will and does save all the world.

As someone who doesn't really cook with salt, and with the healthy eating stuff we encounter day to day, perhaps this analogy needs updating. To what, I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of, though, is I notice when food has been salted. I'm probably more attuned to it precisely because I do not cook with it. Bread, though, does need just a little, other wise, it's flavourless (and the yeast takes over a bit too much, which can result in a dry, crumbly textured loaf BTW).

And these two things got me thinking. Lets start with the salt in foods when I'm not used to them. I notice the salt, but sometimes because I am noticing it, I no longer taste the food. For those of us who have weened ourselves off salt in cooking, you begin to taste things as they are, really appreciating the flavours. Salt merely enhances them, but if you are attuned to their tastes, salt isn't as necessary. Maybe the Christian life should be like that. For those who are attuned to God's love, whoever they experience it, do they really need us to be salt for them? Do they just see the church and, depending on how salty it is, that gets in their why of seeing and knowing God. The saltiness of the church can mask the love of God...

On the other hand, though, when even a couple of grains of salt are added to a dish, it penetrates the whole. No part of the dish does not have the taste of salt, even though it may only be a subtle change in the dish. Might even be enough to help those who are not used to really tasting food in it's 'unsalted' state to really appreciate the flavours of the dish in all its fullness. Now, thinking of that in relation to Jesus' words - the church being salt of the earth, just a little, all through the world, might just be enough to help people to know God's love for them. To understand and know him in ways they never could if that subtle amount of salt were not in their world. I'd like to minister in the sort of church which tried to do that - encouraging and enabling all in their relationship with God, through the church being flavour in people's work, rest and play.

That would make the church truly salt for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!