Wednesday 13 March 2013

All about me

Well, my talk seemed to go well (though I get the impression I may have run over a wee bit - note to self, ask how long you're to talk for!). I gave them a wee bit of my background, with some randomly related tangents along the way. But that's how my mind works, and they wanted to "get to know me better".

They are a small but lovely group. Warm, friendly and welcoming. I felt really comfortable talking to them, as they were clearly interested and wanting to support me. The only thing I felt a little awkward about was the 'time for tea.' As the honoured guest, I sat with the chair and vice-chair, at a separate table with posh china and homebaking, while everyone else sat together with mugs, biscuits and having a blether. As the guest (and knowing this is the norm) I respected it, but it just didn't sit well with me. Partly, that was the being made a (small) fuss of, being made to be distinctive and not being able to engage with the rest of the group as much as I would have liked. The latter of those 'issues' was the most jarring.

At the end I was asked to 'close' the meeting. While that being unexpected, it was expected, if that makes sense. I wasn't sure what the usual way of closing the meeting was, so I led them in a short prayer. They seemed happy with that, so I assume that it was okay.

And they gave me some flowers. If this is going to become regular, perhaps I need to get a vase...

Desperate Dan Vase

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!