Sunday 17 March 2013

Good leadership?

Whether I like it or not, part of my calling as to ministry is a call to lead. Wherever I go, I will be the leader of the community I serve. As I work through these placements, the importance of good leadership is evident.

But what is a good leader? Is it someone who dictates to others? Or who bends to the whim and criticism of those in the community.? I would say no to both of these questions, but realise there are times when I will need to take a stand or listen to others' views. It's a fine line and I know I'll not always get it right.

Those leaders I have encountered, but in and out of church leadership, which I have respected the most have an ability to allow the communities to have a voice and to air their views openly and honestly. Thus, when decisions are made, even when they go in a different direction from that some would like, are supported as people feel they have been heard. One leader in particular I am thinking of really welcomes those who openly question decisions, as he sees them as those who hold the whole community accountable.

The other aspect of leadership I admire is the willingness to muck in where necessary - to do the dirty jobs or help out someone who's busting a gut and toiling to get what needs done finished. Those leaders I saw very much as 'the boss', but they were compassionate to the needs and abilities of those they led. For most, their actions won their respect and a willingness on behalf of those they led to go the extra mile for them. They led by example, didn't ask anything they wouldn't do themselves and were, in many ways, leading in a service-like way (sounds familiar).

Ultimately, with these leaders I am thinking of (and have worked with), they made tough decisions, challenged and provoked, to get the best from their team. Sometimes, the team didn't like it. But through feeling they had been listened to and knowing the leader would muck in when necessary, the team bust a gut for them. The team also know their leader would fight for them against those outwith the team, gaining the leader's respect. The team also knew those good leaders would defend their actions and those of the team, not allowing public criticism of any member of the team.

So, that's not much for me to live up to, especially when leading a church community. Pointing people to God should be easy, but if it were would there be a need for ministers to lead and shepherd their congregations? And it's getting people to come with me where I led them. That requires a lot of trust on both sides, especially if the terrain is dangerous or difficult. But I suppose that's about going a route which is best for the needs and abilities of the congregation - not all can climb mountains, but they could take the low road around the mountain to reach the same destination. The latter takes longer, but would that matter? I don't think so. More important is getting everyone safely to the destination. Perhaps that's what good leadership is, for me at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!