Thursday 21 March 2013

Keeping to my commitments

I was brought up that once you have made a commitment to something, I am to stick to it. Yes, there will and has been times when I really couldn't stick to it (like surgery), but those have been exceptional circumstances.

With that attitude, I know I have sometimes taken on more than I should or realised it's all happening close together, rather than a bit more spread out. Unless I have really messed up and double booked myself (which, fortunately, has happened once and turned out the time of one thing had changed from what I was originally told) I'll get on with it.

I also won't take on something which is at the same time as something I have already committed to. The other thing may seem more interesting or useful or any number of other excuses why the original commitment could be bumped. I think in ministry this is especially important, as a meeting with a member of the congregation or colleague may not seem as important as a training course or phone call, but it's important to the person I am to see. After all, I am called to serve and if I just change meetings around due to more interesting (or seemingly important) things coming along, I am being self-serving.

I know there are times when things will need to be re-arranged, but I'd like to think they'd be the exception and not the norm. In fact I sincerely pray they would be the exception and I always focus on who I am serving.

2 comments:

  1. If someone made an appointment with you, then called to change it because something else cropped up, would you be happy with that (or at least accept it)?
    If so, why set yourself a more difficult target/standard?
    You'll discover, if you haven't already, that your diary will have to become reasonably flexible. You can make appointments to see people, or attend functions, and then a string of funerals hits. Do the original commitments stand, or does the funeral take priority? And what if the funeral can only be done on a particular day because people are travelling for it? (A not uncommon situation these days, with dispersed families.)
    These are, arguably, more a matter of priorities compared to what you may have been thinking of originally, but it still boils down to meeting a commitment. And maybe you will find they are the exception rather than the rule. But they are exceptions which crop up with irritating frequency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John

      Yes, I am thinking of particular issues/situation, which I can't go into in greater details. I do, though, know I have to be flexible and not get into a situation where I am beating myself up for having to re-arrange things. It's a fine balance and I appreciate I'll never get it right all the time. I suppose it's being aware I have commitments and those not becoming less important than things which crop up.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!