Monday 17 June 2013

Communioned out

Over the course of the last 2 weeks, I have been involved in communion, in one way or another, about a dozen times. Twice in a Sunday service of worship, once at a presbytery meeting and the rest by way of home communions. The different settings have been interesting to witness and reflect on. I suspect there's still a lot of processing still to do.

At the home communions, I expected to be more moved than I am in communions on a Sunday morning, due to the more intimate nature of them. But that's not how it felt. Perhaps it was knowing I was, to a certain extent, on show - I am the newbie, the student minister, here for the summer. I have been all too aware some of those how I have visited during the course of the communions have been sizing me up. Most, though have been very pleased to see me and welcomed me into their homes.

Perhaps it's me not knowing these people. The auxiliary minister obviously knows them well and, I suspect, that relationship is what makes it more profound for him. I hope, as I get to know the people I will serve, that I also get to experience that.

Looking at the home communion set, with the dish which could only take wafers or small squares of bread (really, don't get me started on that!) and knowing the wine was horrible (sweetened grape juice - really, is grape juice not sweet enough? That's why it ferments well!) got in the way for me. Rather than reverently take the elements, I was aware I would have to stop the expression of yuck over my face as I took the wine. But it's not about me, it's about those I serve. They, clearly got much from the communion and fellowship.

Included with the communion was a reflection on the reading which had been used during the Sunday communion service - a cut down sermon, I suppose. Personally, I think I would rather spend that time offering pastoral care to those I visited, but I can also see the merit of what's carried out here, as it keeps those who cannot attend in touch with the teaching in church.

With that in mind, and given home communion only seems to occur here in the week after communion season, I do wonder if a special effort could perhaps be made to get those who cannot attend to church. While some could not attend, most probably could if they were taken. Surely that would be more of a communion - a common sharing of worship, fellowship and the elements themselves? I think I have a bit of processing of that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!