Sunday 16 June 2013

Communion Season

It has been communion season at Railway Crossing and First Stop. This involves an actual season of services - preparation on the Friday, communion on the Sunday morning and thanksgiving in the evening. I was aware that this was something which happened in the early post-reformation church, but until now did not realise is was still being practised in some parts of the Kirk.

It's a living tradition, from the vibe I've got, though up here less people come to church when it's communion, which I was really surprised by, and a little shocked. Though many churches in the Kirk have adopted allowing all who are baptised to take communion, that's not the case at these churches. Both have a reasonable number of regular worshippers, who are (I use the technical term) adherents. Many of those do not attend when communion is on. I also suspect the numbers drop for communion Sunday due to the historic fencing of the table and perhaps not being able to attend all three services. That, I know, is not a problem from the Kirk Session's point of view, but the individuals concerned may see it as such. Very interesting.

Especially at Railway Crossing, the elders were very nervous. I know that can often be the case, but with a small church (both in architectural and people terms) it didn't seem onerous. Though I was just an observer for communion (naturally, it was led by the auxiliary minister attached to the congregations) I reassured the Session Clerk that it didn't matter how the bread and wine went out, as long as everyone got some. Chill.

I later found out one of the reasons they Session will get worked up about communion. They only celebrate it at Railway crossing twice a year! Firststop falls into the more 'normal' Kirk pattern of 4 times a year and they don't seem to get quite as worked up, though half the congregation are elders there, so that might be something to do with it.

It's been a great experience being a small part of these communion seasons. I have also been involved in home communions, but I will write about them later. This is the first time I've really seen just how nervous the Session can get. I also wonder, if I were called to a church which hadn't yet opened up communion to all, not just communicant members, how I would persuade them to change that. Definitely things to be going on with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!