Wednesday 19 June 2013

Will I come back?

They seem to like me up here. Really like me. On Sunday there, I led the whole act of worship for the first time at both congregations. So, that was the third Sunday and second time I've preached.

But how did I feel about it. It went better than I expected. It's strange preaching to a congregation I barely know. The first time it was especially strange, as I was preaching into the abyss in some ways. That went down well, and I'm sure things will be better as I get to know the people here; their hopes, fears, prejudices etc they have.

I know I'm already breaking with convention. When the offering was brought forward I received it. That was something which I picked up from Highland Cathedral and both the person bringing the plate forward and the congregation liked it. I also moved the 'minister's throne' and sat on an ordinary chair. I've only wee legs and mine were dangling off the throne. Given that's behind the communion table, I doubt anyone really noticed. And I did ask the Session Clerk if it was okay first!

The children were a little quiet, but they've not really encountered me before. I did, again, move a chair so I could speak to them. There's not really room for them to come forward, but they all sit together. The next Sunday I do a children's address I'll have a chair waiting for me.

I even, unintentionally, got a laugh from the congregations. What I was saying was intended, but I didn't expect a laugh - it's not that it didn't warrant a laugh, just it wasn't a joke (if that makes sense?). I know there was one or two points where I stumbled a little, but suspect hardly anyone would have noticed.

After the service I waited at the door - during the previous 2 weeks I've had to leg it from Railway Crossing to First Stop, so didn't have time for that. It was a beautiful day. Comments were favourable, including 'will you come back when you're finished?', 'very good' and 'food for thought'. I must admit to preferring the last comment. Though I am not, usually, a fire and brimstone kinda gal, I do try to get people thinking.

As for the 'will you come back'. It's a great complement, but I really don't feel called here. The people are lovely, the scenery and wildlife outstanding, but something just isn't quite right. I also told them I'd hope they managed to call a minister before I was finished, as it would be nearly 2 and a half years until I am finished training. That time line, along with the time they have been vacant so far would mean they'd have been vacant over 5 years. And, on a selfish note, I'm not sure what spot would do here - both in terms of his calling and for work.

It is good to be here and get alongside the people here for a while. It's also taking the pressure off the axillary minister who, in everyone's opinion, does far too much. All good experience for both sides of the equation. After all, apparently some in the congregation are now beginning to say they prefer a woman in the pulpit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!