Tuesday 4 June 2013

First impressions

As I write this, I am looking across the north sea and can make out the Grampians in the distance. There is a golden beach, where Arctic tern nest, a river where otters hunt and house martins are flying around the front garden catching their fill of flies. I am also told dolphins, whales and sometimes basking sharks can be seen from here. I think this summer might be hard (said with tongue firmly in cheek).

It's been a busy few days, though I did have a day off yesterday. I very much hit the ground running, attending my first service within 3 hours of arriving here. I wasn't involved, but it did give me a chance to met some of the people I will be serving and working with this summer.

The local gala was on Saturday. It was a great day and the weather mostly held. A good community vibe here, though I felt the church (collective - there are 4 denominations represented here and that doesn't include the fishermen's mission too) could have been playing more of a role. But Railway crossing was there, raising money for their summer holiday club, which is a start.

I have found the pub which serves real ale, but will only be there when spot visits. Now is neither the time nor place to challenge social norms!

My impressions of the 2 congregations are of warm, generous, friendly, honest, sincere people. I very much feel supported be both congregations and the definitely seem to be here. So far I think I have eaten my body weight in cake - it is lovely, but there's only so much one gerbil can eat!!!

Sunday meant me being involved in 3 services. What with not pausing for breath since arriving and having to be 'on' for around 5 hours, I was knackered by the time we got home. It'll be interesting how I cope and adapt to having to regularly lead up to 3 complete services per week.

The acoustics at Railway crossing are terrible. This is where that voice which could always be heard comes in handy, among with the speech training I have received, otherwise it just couldn't be sustained.

It was also weird having to leave one service immediately after the benediction to leg it up to Firststop. I have taken services at linked charges before and always had time for a brew before I left. This practise of leaving immediately may change as I go on. I have to be careful I don't get blood in my caffeine system!

So, though my feet have hardly touched the ground so far, I think I am going to really enjoy my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!