Thursday 14 June 2012

Over the door

I've been doing pastoral visits as part of this placement. That was something I didn't do on my last one, for a whole load of reasons, but which I was well aware I needed to gain experience in.

It's amazing how willingly people have opened their doors and lives to me. Some have not met me and even those who had, it was only in passing, yet all happily welcomed me into their homes and told me something of their lives.

I know privilege is used many times in ministry. Some would say too often. Yet I can think of no other profession I could have been training for where I could knock on someone's door out of the blue, be welcomed in and made to feel like I have known that person for years.

I know it helps that I am interested in people. I like people and, generally, get on and can relate to most people. In conversation with all of those I have visited I have been able to draw on personal knowledge or experience to help talk to them. Did make me think I have really been being trained for ministry my whole life - which is pretty cool, it has to be said! One lady told me I have a open friendly manner, which makes me easy to talk and open up to. That was very humbling, as I was just being me. But that's who God called, so maybe he has got it right after all ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!