Thursday 7 June 2012

So far, so good

Well, it's just about a week since I started at Highland Cathedral. There's a lot happening, though some of that is the usual sort of tidying up type stuff before the summer that many churches do, such as Kirk Sessions etc. That said, this church does seem to be very busy, so maybe the summer won't be that quiet. One particular program they run is on all year, so I'm looking forward to being involved with that.

I'm finding plenty to do and to keep myself occupied, though I'm trying to make sure I have time to reflect, think and get to know the area, as it's not one I am familiar with too well.

I have also begun pastoral visiting. This is something I did not do at my last placement for a variety of reasons. From comments from a couple of people I visited, it was clear my supervisor had asked if they were okay with this, and that's to be expected as it takes time to build up relationships and not everyone would be comfortable with taking to the student minister. I respect my supervisor for having the confidence to trust me to carry out this important task when he's only just met me.

There was a candidate here a short while ago and, unfortunately, some people have started comparing me with them. Okay, so it has been quite favourable for me, but though I am polite with their compliments I'm not sure how to address this. That said, there were some who thought from the little I did last Sunday that I was actually a probationer! Apparently I came across as confident and self-assured - if only they knew how much I was wetting myself underneath! But, I suppose getting on with it and being professional are necessary attributes I need to have, though I'm not going to get it right all the time.

On Sunday I'm doing the childrens' address and, from experience at Eagleside, I am really nervous about this. That was the one area of worship I covered there that I really struggled with. This is a different church with different children and way of delivering them, so I hope it goes well. I could do with a confidence boast for them that's for sure.

So, all go, but not too frenetic. I can see, though, that it could be all too easy to get caught up in doing things, admin, visits and prep that there's no time left for self. So, I'm being pretty strict about only working 2 out of 3 periods per day and my day off.

So, that's a summary for now. Much to learn, much to grow, much to do. Looking forward to it and seeing where this part of the path leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!