Thursday 21 June 2012

Speaking the right words

I'm not one to use personal anecdotes in sermons. It's a mixture of reasons, mainly, I don't like the idea of the congregation always hearing about my life and my family - I know I wouldn't like to hear that all the time and I'm a fairly private person, so talking about myself doesn't come easy. But this Sunday I am going to give an personal anecdote in the sermon which I feel will add to the sermon and, I hope, let the congregation see that the words of reassurance I want to give them come from hard won experience, rather than empty words.

I know, though, that it may be difficult for me saying what I feel called to say. But I know, in some deep down way, that it needs to be said. I don't know exactly how, but something is telling me there will be someone in the congregation who needs to hear this message from someone who really understands. I pray I am right and that my words are God's words and the words that the congregation at Highland Cathedral need to hear on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I firmly believe there is a time for drawing on and using personal experience if it's appropriate. It gives substance and authority to what you say and also shows you're human and not above the things that happen to everyone. In the past when I've been led to share a personal situation there's always been someone who has been deeply touched by it. Follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!