Wednesday 1 February 2012

God loves my enemies

I recently read Desmond Tutu's "God has a dream". It's a lovely short book written by a man for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration. [I remember, seeing a news report when I was 7 or 8 - yes, I watched the news and read the papers then, I was a strange child. Desmond Tutu was the spokesperson for the boycott of South African goods. When my Mum went shopping I wouldn't let her buy things from South Africa, because Desmond Tutu said so.]. There was so much I could take away from the book. It's a positive, affirming book. So remarkable given some of what Desmond Tutu lived through.

I was especially struck by the phrase "God loves your enemies too". It's so obvious, yet so startling too. Of course, if God loves everyone, he loves people I struggle to love, who have hurt me or my family and friends in the past. Why that hadn't fundamentally occurred to me before, I have no idea. I suppose it was there, at the back of my mind (or should I say heart) somewhere.

I also found the expression so liberating. It makes me look at those who are my "enemies" (I use the phrase guardedly as I'd like to think I don't have any real enemies, just people who I need to show grace too better) in a very different light. How can I not? God loves them in the same way as he loves me. It is only right I attempt in all I do to show the love God has for me to those I struggle to love, as I am doing it for God. They are my neighbour and, as Jesus taught, I should "love my neighbour as myself".

It's not easy putting past hurts and let downs away. Sometimes it's necessary to open up wounds again to really get rid of the festering mess within and no one wants to do that, as the short term pain could be too great. Yet, I will try in all the ways I can to bring healing where I can and where God calls me to be. I am not perfect, not by a long shot, but I do try to love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind and strength. Loving my enemy is just part of that, I believe.

6 comments:

  1. ooooh, now that's spooky... I've been pondering upon similar stuff these last couple of days - indeed, was writing on it in a facebook thread yesterday and had been thinking of a possible blog post [thesis diversion, me??].
    Do you think there's something they put in the tea at uni.?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they do say great minds think alike...but they also say fools seldom differ ;-)

      Delete
  2. I thought they put bromide in the tea to keep the students and staff under control...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I don't drink the tea very often, so what's my excuse???

      Delete
  3. I am curious what you think about God's hate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe God is a God of love and is love. The bible must be viewed as a whole. If one part is taken out of context of the bible or the culture of the time and place it was written, then God can seem like a God of hate too. I do not and cannot believe that in the context of the whole of the bible and God's sacrifice on the cross.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!